I lost all the food in my freezer !
I lost all the food in my freezer. I have heard this many times from homeowners as they are cleaning out their freezer in the garage. Sometimes the prize beef from a livestock show was custom processed and waiting for the big party. Or maybe it was a good buy at the wholesale club. One customer said he spent $10,000 on a trip to Colorado and the processing for his favorite steak- Elk.
The Culprit: A GFCI outlet that tripped or failed. The cause: probably a close by lightning strike or maybe a bad cord on the freezer. Even landscape lighting on the same circuit will trip a GFCI outlet.
The summer storms are the biggest culprit. Many times we will go to a house and the owner will tell us of the problems they experience after a lightning storm. All the GFCI outlets are tripped. The sprinkler control is fried and not working. The garage door opener is burnt and the cordless phones quit.
The wiring in your home acts like an antenna and the magnetic field generated by a lightning bolt sees this long copper wire as an antenna. Voltage produced by the lightning bolt is transferred to the wiring in your home. Sometimes multiple thousands of volts. This causes the GFCI to see a fault and it trips or stops the voltage to the outlet.
We cannot stop acts of God such as lightning or wind. We can warn you if you freezer loses power due to a tripped GFCI.
A device we have looked for a long time is now available.
We found this device while searching for Hospital grade equipment. This great new device is a GFCI outlet that sounds an alarm when the outlet trips.
Now you can find the problem as soon as you enter the area where the GFCI is installed. Don’t take a chance on losing a big investment in frozen food or vegetables from the garden. Call today. We can help